You’ve booked your trip to Patagonia! These resources will help you get ready:
- Learn about the activities and how you can get ready and in physical condition for your trip
- Find out what to pack
- Start getting ready
- Plan your travel to and from Bariloche, Argentina
- Check your passport expiry date
- Purchase medical and trip cancellation insurance
- Consider a carbon offset
Start getting ready
These checklists will help you get organized in advance so you’re ready to go. Rest assured with our Peace of Mind Policies.
90 days before your departure
- Send us your menu choices, medical, emergency contact info, and anything else you’d like us to know (you’ll get a form to submit this info once you book)
- Decide on your travel dates and if you’ll be adding other travel in South America before or after your trip with us. Contact us anytime for advice on Argentina trip extensions.
- Book flights if you haven’t done so already
6 weeks before your departure
- Join the optional Q&A video conference with your guides (we’ll send you details)
- Review your packing list, let us know if you have any questions
- Visit your family doctor or a travel clinic for up-to-date recommendations on health and immunizations.
1 or 2 days before departure
- Get packing!
- Give family, work, or friends our toll-free number 1-866-242-9383 and email [email protected] in case they need to reach you during the expedition. Our guides will check for messages from the Boreal River office by satellite phone each day.
- Let us know if you run into any delays
- Meet your guide at the airport. They’ll be waiting for you wearing a Boreal River shirt and hat
- You made it—enjoy your adventure!
Contact us anytime if you have any questions at all.
Plan your travel to Bariloche, Argentina
Our trip starts and ends in San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina. There are several flights a day to Bariloche-Rio Negro airport (code BRC) that connect* through Buenos Aires, Argentina. Most travelers spend one or more nights in Buenos Aires on their way to Bariloche.
*Note: the shuttle between the 2 airports in Buenos Aires can take several hours. Make sure to look into this.
Your Boreal River guides will pick you up and drop you off at the Bariloche airport on day 1 of the itinerary. If you’re arriving on an earlier day, we’ll meet you at the hotel on day 1.
Contact us if you’d like some advice or have any questions at all as you book travel. And let us know if you’d like recommendations for other travel plans.
Guests on Boreal River trips need to have appropriate Medical insurance and Medical Evacuation insurance. Any evacuation costs will be billed to the person that is leaving the trip. Insurance should cover emergency air evacuation from the river to a local hospital, medical treatment within Argentina or Chile, and repatriation to a medical care facility in your home region.
We also strongly recommend getting Trip Cancellation insurance, which will reimburse you for the unused portion of your Boreal River trip if you must cancel prior to departure or leave your trip early due to illness, accident, or family emergency. If you have insurance coverage from a credit card or an existing plan, please make sure that it will cover you for the above mentioned emergency situations and that you are covered while participating in whitewater activities and remote wilderness travel.
For an insurance package that will cover you for the specific situations encountered on our trips, we recommended something similar to what World Nomads offers.
Consider a carbon offset
We’ve calculated a carbon offset for the Patagonia Packraft Expedition and we buy carbon offsets for the whole group for each trip. This covers the trip itself including:
- Your guides’ travel to Bariloche
- Food sourcing and cooking
- Land transport for the passenger vehicles and equipment/support staff vehicles used throughout your trip
- Equipment use, sourcing, and maintenance
The offsets we buy don’t cover your travel between your home and Argentina. You can purchase these from a variety of sources.