You’ve booked your trip and scheduled it into your calendar. Travel planning should be part of the adventure. These resources will help you get ready:
- Learn about the activities and how you can get ready and in physical condition for your trip
- Find out what to pack
- Start getting to know more about the region and the river:
- Start getting ready
- Plan your travel to and from Sept Îles
- Check your passport expiry date (if you’ll be travelling from abroad)
- Purchase medical and trip cancellation insurance
- Consider a carbon offset
Start getting ready
These checklists will help you get organized in advance so you’re ready to go. Rest assured with our Peace of Mind Policies.
90 days before your departure
- Send us your menu choices, medical, emergency contact info, and anything else you’d like us to know (we’ll send you a form to submit this info once you join)
- Book travel if you haven’t done so already
- Start getting ready
6 weeks before your departure
- Join the optional Q&A video conference with your guides (we’ll send you details)
- Review your packing list, let us know if you have any questions.
1 or 2 days before departure
- Get packing!
- Give family, work, or friends our toll-free number 1-866-242-9383 and email [email protected] in case they need to reach you during the expedition—our guides will check for messages from the Boreal River office by satellite phone each day.
- Let us know if you run into any delays
- Meet your guide at the airport. They’ll be waiting for you wearing a Boreal River shirt and hat
- You made it—enjoy your adventure!
Contact us anytime if you have any questions at all.
Plan your travel to Sept Îles
Our trip starts and ends in Sept-Îles, Quebec. Your Boreal River guides will pick you up and drop you off at the airport. If you are driving to the region or arriving on an earlier day, we’ll meet you at Hotel St. Arnaud on Day 1.
Our travel specialists will be happy to help you plan your trip to Sept-Îles, and we’ve prepared a handy list of things you can do in the Côte-Nord region before or after your trip with us, but here is some general info to get you started.
Travelling by air
Travelling by car
Travelling by train/boat
Guests on Boreal River trips need to have appropriate Medical insurance and Medical Evacuation insurance. Any evacuation costs will be billed to the person that is leaving the trip. Insurance should cover emergency air evacuation from the river to a local hospital (this can cost $10,000 CAD or more), medical treatment within Canada, and repatriation to a medical care facility in your home region.
We also strongly recommend obtaining Trip Cancellation insurance, which will reimburse you for the unused portion of your Boreal River trip if you must cancel prior to departure or leave your trip early due to illness, accident, or family emergency. If you have insurance coverage from a credit card or an existing plan, please make sure that it will cover you for the above mentioned emergency situations and that you are covered while participating in whitewater activities and remote wilderness travel.
For an insurance package that will cover you for the specific situations encountered on our trips, we recommended something similar to what World Nomads offers.
Consider a carbon offset
We’ve calculated a carbon offset for the Magpie Packraft Expedition and we buy carbon offsets for the whole group for each trip. This covers the trip itself including the flights into the river.
You can also consider purchasing offsets for your travel to Sept-Îles.
Trip Details at a Glance$4,895—9 days
Experience incredible wilderness and whitewater
Departs FromSept Îles, Quebec, Canada
- Sat. Aug 10- Sun. Aug 18, 2019
- Sat. Aug 15- Sun. Aug 23, 2020