Podcast #3: Nouria Newman – part 2
“Don’t forget to go kayaking when you go kayaking”
This is part 2 of a 2-part interview with world class kayaker, athlete, and adventurer, Nouria Newman.
You can listen by hitting the “play” button in the audio player below.
Once a competitive whitewater slalom kayaker who won World Championships (listen to part 1 for her backstory and how she got into kayaking), Nouria Newman now travels to the most remote corners of the globe—and paddles for different reasons…
In this episode we gain a little more insight into what makes Nouria tick, hear about some incredible trips, discuss issues in paddling, and get some great expedition tips.
- 00:49 – There are no levels and everyone crashes
- 03:21 – Pitt River solo expedition—bushwacking and bear spray
- 12:26 – Actually, I’ll take a sandwich
- 15:09 – Embrace it when it get’s hard, and funny things happen
- 16:42 – Gear tip: webbing and carabiner ‘flip line’
- 19:46 – Dream trips and finding missions in your backyard
- 21:27 – Near miss unpacked: The Tsarap, Zanskar, and Indus Rivers in India
- 26:54 – Don’t forget to go kayaking when you go kayaking
- 36:21 – Paddling alone and risk…it’s complex
- 41:26 – Challenges with social media
- 48:46 – Expedition food: lentils, croissant, and sometimes mango
How to listen to The Boreal River Show
You can listen to the episode by clicking the “play” button in the player above or by downloading it in Apple Podcasts, or any of your favourite podcast platforms like Spotify, Stitcher, or TuneIn & Alexa
We’ll be releasing new episodes every two weeks with some extras thrown in from time to time.