Podcast #2: Nouria Newman – part 1
Backstory, Adventure Stories, and Bias in Boating
Hey podcast! Here’s the first of a 2-part interview with Nouria Newman.
You can listen by hitting the “play” button in the audio player below.
Nouria Newman is a world class kayaker. She’s also an adventurer—exploring the world on incredibly remote and challenging river expeditions.
In this first part of a 2-part interview, we discuss:
- 00:00 – What drives you?
- 04:01 – Nouria at age 5—from Playmobiles to whitewater kayaking
- 08:52 – Competetiveness and passion for boating as a teenager
- 13:16 – Evolving from slalom to ‘plastic’ boating
- 14:29 – Youth whitewater in France vs. US, paddling with dad, and ‘spider jump’ rescues
- 17:10 – Nouria calls out dad’s friends for gender bias—then rescues one from gnarly rapid
- 18:45 – Meeting the right people: apprenticeship with Nico and Debs
- 20:17 – Argentina’s Upper Rio Atuel: hiking, starving, and Medoza’s finest rice & mayo
- 23:10 – Lessons learned on the Upper Diamante expedition: the lost shoe, the lucky shoe
- 28:55 – Paddling with Ben and Boomer
- 30:12 – A tough trip—group dynamics
- 33:05 – Sexism in paddling
Nouria on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nourianewman/
How to listen to The Boreal River Show
You can listen to the episode by clicking the “play” button in the player above or by downloading it in Apple Podcasts, or any of your favourite podcast platforms like Spotify, Stitcher, or TuneIn & Alexa
We’ll be releasing new episodes every two weeks with some extras thrown in from time to time.